Subject: Re: Lightwave Reviews
From: Bryant Reif <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 01:38:44 -0500

At 08:52 PM 1/4/96 -0500, Fernando Martins wrote:
>Hi everybody!
>
>I just want to share with you my latest discovery: I must be a weirdo from
>another planet...
>Why?! Because it's the second or third time that I see a Lightwave review on a
>PC magazine and the conclusion is that it is an great program, with lots of
>features, pro-style results and a poor/confusing/non-standard/unintuitive
>interface!!! WHAT?!?! I can't believe my eyes when I see this kind of
>comments... The first time, I thought the reviewer was a PC geek that was so
>used to Micro$oft interface that he could stand anything else. But now it's to
>many reviewers sharing the same opinion!
>
>So, if I think this is the most intuitive interface I ever worked on (I was
>doing animations without even touching the manual) and the elite thinks the
>interface is not-so-good, then I must be a kind of weird non-Terrestrial
>thing!!!
>
>PS: Anyway, the other programs had a even smaller score :)
>
>  __ _ _
> /_ /|/|
>/  /   | [email-masked]

        New people entering the world of 3D apps seem to be going for the
trueSpace type interface, i.e. one smooth shaded perspective view.  This
includes PC magazine journalists.  They probably rated LW against those with
shaded preview windows, and immediately deemed it "non-intuitive" since I
doubt they had PowerView.  I also found LW's interface very easy to learn
and understand.  Besides, anyone who has used Wavefront's modeler knows the
meaning of of the term  "non-intuitive".  I still can't believe they are
still using those damn grouping hierarchies.  Anyway, you're not an alien
Fernando... I think ;)  Hey those journalists had to give LW *one* fault, right?

*************************************************************
**  Bryant Reif, Telecommunication, Michigan State Univ.   **
**  -----------------------------------------------------  **
**  Phone: (517) 332-1236  E-mail: [email-masked]  **
**  Work: (517) 432-2191   E-mail2: [email-masked]        **
**  Fax: (517) 432-2529                                    **
**  WWW: http://aiesec.msu.edu/~bryant                     **
*************************************************************

        "If you keep your money in your shoe, then people
         will know which bills are yours."  D. Byrne